Diatomaceous Earth ("DE")
WHAT IS IT?
DE is a remarkable, naturally occurring siliceous sedimentary mineral compound from microscopic skeletal remains of unicellular algae-like plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth’s ecology since prehistoric times and built up into deep, chalky deposits of diatomite. The diatoms are mined and ground up to render a powder similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The chemical composition of our diatomaceous earth is approximately 89% silica. The remaining percentage is made up of trace minerals such as magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, selenium and sodium which are great for animals, humans, plants, and soil.
HUMAN CONSUMPTION USES/BENEFITS
- Digestive aid
- Helps detox heavy metals, E. coli, bacteria, viruses, etc.
- Colon cleanser
- Better overall health
- Revitalizes hair, stimulating healthier hair growth
- Hardens the enamel, preventing cavities and bleeding gums, and preserving teeth
- Improves the hardness of nails, making them shinier and less prone to breaking
- Lowers bad cholesterol and raises good
- Fades age spots
- Cancer cannot survive in cells that have the correct levels of silica
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The statements are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the services or recommendations of a physician or qualified health care practitioner. Those with health problems, pregnancy or who are nursing are specifically advised that they should consult their physician before taking any nutritional supplement.
PLANT & ANIMALUSES/BENEFITS:
- Natural wormer – eliminates many parasites without chemicals
- No feed withdrawal for milk or feed animals
- Decreased mortality
- Promotes shinier coats
- Eliminates pests in stored grains
- Reduces flies, fleas, ticks, etc.
- Reduces manure odor
- Antifungal properties – good for garden fungal growth
- Reduces overall animal stress
Many people take up to 1-2 heaping tablespoons per day, but there is no set amount. It can be mixed with any beverage, but DE will not dissolve so it should be stirred or shaken often to keep in suspension and prevent settling. It can be sprinkled over foods. The RDA for silica is 20-30mg per person but most don’t obtain that due to a diet of processed foods, food grown in depleted soils, and chemicals. Don’t worry about getting too much DE—any excess silica not needed by the body is automatically eliminated through the blood stream, kidneys and intestines.
When dusting as a pesticide, try to avoid inhaling the DE as it can be a mucous membrane irritant. It is harmless once the dust settles, but you should wear a precautionary mask if you have asthma or lung ailments.